Saturday 1 October 2016

Blue orient and one cabinet´s tale


Darkening nights have inspired me to add fuller shades of color to my living room decoration. I decided to re-decorate one corner with different hues of blue, turquoise and green. It demanded some painting and choosing the right decorative elements from my own storage and some new pieces from flea markets and shops. 


I was happy to find a very old picture of this cabinet. In the 2013 picture the wooden cabinet is in the original condition and I have already put some builders tape to the windows before painting. If I remember right this cabinet cost 30€ at the local flea market. According to 2013 trends I painted cabinet with pastel turquoise and stored my crafting equipment in it. This summer I made re-arrangements and the cabinet got to store books until I got an idea to paint it with orient shade of green/blue. In my trip to southern Finland I visited a craft supplies shop, Presento in Turku, and I was tipped to use chalk paint with antiquing wax to get a nice look.



As I am now very enthusiastic about this painting technique I painted also the plant shelf you can see in the corner. It was so easy to paint with chalk paint (3 layers) and then apply the wax using a piece of cotton fabric. The end result is so pretty and antique looking. 
To this orient corner I also knitted a decorative light from paper yarn and bought some new decorative elements like the lantern, curtain and flower pot from flea market and a beautiful quilt from Indiska. The quilt would be easy to make but it is impossible to find such a beautiful fabrics. I have been looking for this kind of quilt blanket for long and when I finally found it I did not hesitate a minute to buy it. It adds nice glamour to my living room and suits well with candle lanterns and darker orient shades. 


I am now in the middle of projects so more DIY tips coming soon :)


Happy October!

Sannu

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comments!