Friday 10 March 2017

How To: Create a Bohemian Look for the Entrance


Happy Friday Everyone! It is always fun to get DIY tips and inspiration for home decor but I think especially Fridays are excellent for gathering all inspiration in the world as the weekend offers great time for thrifting and making. Today I want to show you how I styled my entrance with DIY pieces and thrifted decor.

Entrance is usually one of the most challenging spaces in the apartment. One of my bad habits is to pile beanies, mittens and shoes all over the floor which creates a messy and not so inviting entrance for visitors. Also in my small studio apartment this tiny corner is both crowded with stuff and dark. To create more inviting entrance I chose to put in some color, pattern and decor. Maybe this beautiful setting motivates to keep the place in more decent condition.

I already had the same drawer here before as it works well storing scarves, mittens and beanies. When I found flower template from the sale I begun eyeing this a bit worn out grey furniture.
Drawer before.
 Color was not that bad. In some other space this would have looked stylish. This piece is from a thrift shop and used to be white, but the paint was removed many years ago to reveal the original wooden surface. Because of the sticky and thick white paint the wooden surface didn´t get back it´s original  glory so I have pained this grey maybe six years ago. I love the functional shape that works as a good base for any style. I removed the handles, washed the drawer properly and painted with orange chalk paint 3 layers. After that I made the decorations with a template and pink chalk paint. I had bought a bag of wooden handles from a thrift shop before so I painted 4 of them with the same color. Transparent wax made the finishing touch.


After painting the drawer I begun to think of having a new carpet. I had actually planned to buy a brand new from a shop but I could not find a perfect one. I then browsed Pinterest for carpet DIY ideas and saw many projects where carpets had been painted. After getting that encouragement I decided to give a try with for old white rug.

Plain old white rug.
Because this old rug had oil stains that were hard to get off and because the color was not right at all I made an experiment with machine dye. One package made an even soft pink hue so I bought two more packages (believe it or not the machine dye packages were 40% off when I went to the store).


And then it was pink enough to work as a bright modern looking background for the prints. I chose to try trendy folklore pattern that I saw function well printed on this kind of carpets. You know carpets are actually very expensive and I really like this painted/ printed carpet trend where you can use less expensive rug or carpet to make a stylish interior element.


I used fabric printing color in black, green and white. White color was opacity so I mixed it with more transparent green and black. I mixed a soft dark grey, light grey and light green. This way I managed to make a good print with just one layer. After the paint was dry I fastened the color by ironing it.


Then it was time for the details. As this space does not have a window I used a large plywood board to frame a window -like square to the wall. I painted the board white and used a template with same orange paint as the drawer´s. One key for interesting bohemian look is to use different patterns quite boldly together. To avoid too messy look it is a good idea to choose some main colors that keep appearing in different patterns and materials. 


I already had the vases, plate and lamp. Little tree is a recent thrift shop find. Older elements like the retro vases make layers to the style. Otherwise the look might be too bright and bought from the shop looking. Also ceramic vases make a nice detail and complete the artsy bohemian look. I have got quite a lot thrifted decoration elements in my storage. I don´t keep it all on front all the time so that when I make a new arrangement it is nice to put something to a cupboard and take out some more fitting detail to that decorative combination. Pieces on this table have cost 1-3,5€ each so I am not talking about an expensive stack of home decor items.


The entrance now gives a nice clue about the rest of the house showing little sprinkles of pink, grey and green that create the main theme in my home. I like cute little lamps and one is a necessity in the entrance giving a welcoming light to home.


Hope you got some ideas about how to create a bohemian look for the entrance. Now that I got into the painting and pattern mood I keep planning new projects all the time. 

Have a cosy and relaxing weekend!

Sannu

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comments!